Beacon History

Beacon History

image

Virginia League Central Credit Union opened Aug 23rd, 1939

This first establishment was simply a central depository location where credit unions would be able to deposit excess funds.
image

815 Church St was the first operating office in 1952

Prior to the first office, the League's offices and services were maintained in the homes of key individuals such as R.G. Council and H.W. Roach, both Treasurers for the League.
image

One of our first locations was on Fenwick Drive

Virginia League Central Credit Union soon grew out of its location on Church Street. The next 50 years brought about new employees, office managers and bookkeepers along with a location change and new products.
image

Construction began on our Logans Lane branch in 1996

The land was purchased in September of 1995 and the facility was built by P.W. Campbell. Groundbreaking was held of June 24th, 1996.
image

New Millenium, new Leadership & a new Name

The new millennium brought about vast growth and changes. Under the leadership of its new CEO, Greg McConville, the Credit Union began to offer offsite ATMs, an in-house data processing system and a brand new name.
image

Community Growth and Programs

Focusing on the community, Beacon began to grow many of its programs. Inviting Yellow Branch Elementary students to visit the credit union helped teach the kids the value of money and how its managed within a financial institution.