1. The last time an Olympic winner received an actual gold medal (made from real gold) was in 1912. Today’s gold medals are 93% silver and 6% copper.
2. For a short time period starting in 1912, art, literature, architecture, music and sculpture were juried competitions awarded gold, silver and bronze medals for their sports themed entries.
3. The first American woman to win in the Olympics never knew that’s what she was competing in. Margaret Abbott, from Chicago, entered a golf tournament that she saw advertised while she was studying art in Paris. She shot a 47 on a nine hole course and took the home the Porcelain bowl award from the 1900 Paris games. She died in 1955 without ever realizing she had won an event in the Olympic games or that she was the first American woman to do so.
4. Participants use 5 to 7 pairs of shoes in a decathlon for their sprinting, running, jumping and throwing events.
5. 6 Olympians have appeared in James Bond films, including Harold Sakata who played Oddjob in Goldfinger.
Last week, Scott Hudson, Marketing Director of Beacon Credit Union was given the Dale H. Harris Hall of Fame award for his years of service and dedication to CASA of Central Virginia. Through Scott’s involvement with CASA, Beacon has sponsored numerous events, including the annual Ladies Night Out and our very own Beacon Golf Classic and donated time and money to CASA’s efforts.
CASA trains volunteers to work with children from abused and neglected circumstances, so that when they have to go to court, their side of the story can be heard and interpreted. With a CASA representative there to communicate their needs and issues, these children can be given a more promising future.
Beacon looks forward to working with CASA for many more wonderful events and fundraisers. For more information about CASA, click here.
Whether your leaving the state or leaving the country, be sure to contact Beacon with your travel plans. We monitor your accounts regularly for fraud and if we're not aware that you're traveling to a state or country where fraud is common, we could mistake your dinner at that 5 star restaurant in Atlanta, Georgia for an attempt by a criminal to steal your money.
Simply call us at 434.237.1566 or visit a branch before you go and set up a Travel Exception. Before you call or visit, be sure to have the following information available...
Protecting our members is our number one priority and we want your vacations to be experiences that you will remember forever. Be sure to add us to your travel checklist!
In seeking the best deal on your next car, you might've stumbled upon advertisements or offers to get a 0% interest auto loan. As great as this sounds, you may not save as much as you expect with this type of incentive.
Since auto loans can come through either a dealer or a lender, such as a bank or credit union, it's important to note that a 0% interest loan generally, if not always, is obtained through a dealer. Automakers offer them to attract buyers to certain car models, especially ones that aren't selling well. Here are a few things to consider about 0% financing and why it might not be in your best interest to use it.