Beacon Credit Union is delighted to offer an opportunity to assist our high school members in their education. Any graduating high school member or child of a member interested in seeking higher education, who meets the eligibility requirements may apply. Six high school graduates will receive a $2,000 scholarship to apply to their higher education costs.
To help ease the financial burden of continuing education for our members.
Six scholarships will be awarded in the amount of $2,000 each.
ANY Beacon Credit Union member or child of a member who is graduating from high school, in good standing six (6) months or more prior to the application deadline, who is seeking higher education may apply. Applicants must have a 2.5 grade point average, meet the eligibility requirement to be a member of Beacon Credit Union and be graduating from a high school (or approved home school) located in the Beacon Credit Union membership area.
A completed application and all requested materials must be post marked or submitted online no later than Tuesday, April 5, 2022 to be considered.
Each Scholarship winner must provide evidence of his/her acceptance to an accredited University, College or certified technical/vocational school before funds will be disbursed.
Please complete and submit the application form and documents online or by mail by the deadline below to:
Beacon Credit Union
Attention: Beacon Scholarships - Marketing Department
PO Box 4319
Lynchburg, VA 24502
Or you may click the link below to return to the Scholarship main page and submit your application online.
Applicants must submit a typed essay answering:
In 400 words or fewer “Why did you choose your major and how will it impact society?”
All applications and supporting documents must be postmarked submitted online no later than Tuesday, April 5, 2022.
Judges & Awards:
The Scholarship Committee will appoint and/or serve as judges for scholarship awards. Recipients are selected on the basis of personal qualifications and school records. Decisions of the judges are final.
Notification of Winners:
Scholarship recipients will be notified of the judges' decisions no later than April 29, 2022. In the correspondence you will be informed of the date and location of the Annual Meeting, where the scholarship will be awarded. Scholarship funds will be available to assist with the Fall 2022 semester tuition and related school expenses.
1. Award money must be used for University, College or technical/vocational school tuition and related school expenses.
2. Recipients may accept other college scholarship assistance in addition to this award.
3. The Scholarship award must be used in the fall semester of the year in which the award is given, unless the recipient experiences an extenuating circumstance, such as illness or injury. The student must report the circumstance to the credit union and the credit union will have to approve an abeyance of the funds. The Scholarship will be held in abeyance for not more than one year if illness or injury is involved.
4. If for any reason the recipient discontinues studies, the student must notify Beacon Credit Union within 10 days. At such time, eligibility for receiving the scholarship funds will be determined by the Scholarship Committee. Additionally, the recipient may be held responsible for refunding any Scholarship monies lost due to class withdrawal or an incomplete school year.
5. If the recipient does not attend school within a month period following the date of the award, the scholarship will be withdrawn and awarded to an alternate applicant.
6. The scholarship recipient must provide Beacon Credit Union with a copy of the tuition bill in order for the scholarship funds to be disbursed to the school.
7. All information submitted remains strictly confidential and property of Beacon Credit Union.
8. Applicants’ names will not be revealed to the judges during their review of the applications.