5 Tips to Avoid Moving Fraud
Are you prepping for a move? Here are a few tips to avoid hiring an illegitimate moving company when relocating.
1. Research the companies you're considering thoroughly. Check for a physical address, business reviews, company history and more.
2. Have the company visit your house prior to the move to give you a realistic estimate of time and money. Never accept an estimate over the phone.
3. Make sure that the company has insurance in case anything is damaged during the move.
4. Ask for the company's DOT number (US Department of Transportation) and use the FMCSA database to check if the company is registered.
5. Check multiple companies to see who has the best estimate and the better offers, but be careful of offers that seem too good to be true.
6. Never pay in advance or in cash.
7. Make sure all contracts are reviewed and signed before you allow the movers to start packing up any of your valuables in their truck.